City Government
Elected Officials
City Holidays
Projects and Information
Frequently Asked Questions
Maps and Directions
Public Notices
Pay Your Utility Bill

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the phone number for City Hall?
You may dial (706) 265-3256 to speak with a representative of the City Dawsonville’s government. From there the receptionist will direct you to the correct department to answer your inquiry.

Where is City Hall and what are the hours?
City Hall is located at 415 Highway 53 East, Suite 100 in Dawsonville, Georgia. Directions: from 400 North to Hwy 53 West, beside Food Lion.

Normal business hours are from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm Monday through Friday.

Who provides police and fire services?
Dawson County Sheriff (706) 344-3535 and Emergency Management Services (706) 344-3666.

Who do I call in an emergency situation?
Always call 911 in an emergency situation. Dawson County’s sheriff and fire departments will then respond if needed.

How do I know if my property is within the city limits of Dawsonville?
If you are unsure if your property is within the city limits, call (706) 265-3256 and ask for the planning department. A representative will search the city’s database for the tax ID number.

Do I pay property taxes to the City of Dawsonville?
No. Property tax bills come from the Dawson County Tax Commissioner's Office.

What is the public school system for Dawsonville?
Dawsonville’s residents are served by Dawson County School System. To see what school your child will attend based on your address, call the Dawson County Board of Education at (706) 265-3246.

Where is the closest post office?
The Dawsonville Post Office is located at 452 HWY 53 East. The phone number is (706) 265-2677.

Hours: Monday through Friday 8:00 am until 4:30 pm and Saturday 8:00 am until 12:00 pm.

How many people live in Dawsonville?
Dawsonville has a population of 2536 (based on U.S. Census numbers from 2010). Dawson County has a population of 22,330.

Does the City of Dawsonville have a notary public?
Yes, simply bring your documents by City Hall. There is a fee of $2.00 per stamp on non-City forms.

Who do I call to report trash, signage or noise issues?
You may report a code violation or issue to City Hall at (706) 265-3256.

How do I hook up my utilities?

Water & Sewer
City of Dawsonville Water & Sewer (706) 265-3256 Water Sewer
Etowah Water & Sewer Authority (706) 216-8474

Natural Gas (deregulated) (800) 427-5463

Propane Gas
Amicalola Propane (706) 344-1427
Ferrellgas Gas (706) 265-1495
Mark Heard Fuel Co. (706) 265-2294
Mills Fuel Service (706) 265-3394
Folger Gas (706) 864-6151

Georgia Power (706) 864-3614 or (888) 660-5890
Sawnee Electric (770) 887-2363 or (800) 635-9131
Amicalola EMC ((800) 992-6471 or (706) 864-7979

Phone / TV / Internet
Windstream (866) 961-9463

Trash Pickup
City of Dawsonville (706) 265-3256 (For City Water Customers Only)
Landfill (BurtCreek) (706) 344-3645
400 Waste Disposal (BulkWaste) (706) 216-1485 (on Lumpkin Campground Rd.)

How can I find where my septic tank is located?
Septic tank permits are issued by the Dawson County Health Department, which is located at 54 Hwy. 53 East. The phone number is (706) 265-2930.

Where is the local recycling center?
The Dawson County Recycling Center is located at 916 Burt Creek Road. The phone number is (706) 344-3645. The hours are: Monday through Saturday 7:00 am- 5:00 pm.

Can I burn yard waste?
Call the Georgia Forestry Commission at (706) 216-2713 or (877) 652-2876 to check if safe burning is permitted.

Please note that all fires must be out at dark. For more information:

Can I water whenever I want?
The Georgia Water Stewardship Act went into effect statewide on June 2, 2010. It allows daily outdoor watering for purposes of planting, growing, managing, or maintaining ground cover, trees, shrubs, or other plants only between the hours of 4 pm and 10 am:

Outdoor water use for any purposes other than watering of plants, such as power washing or washing cars, is still restricted to the current odd/even watering schedule

Odd-numbered addresses can water on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays. Even-numbered and unnumbered addresses are allowed to water on Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays.

Who do I call for animal control services?
Call Dawson County Animal Control at the Marshal’s Office at (706) 265-7387.

Where do I register to vote?
The Dawson County Board of Elections and Voter Registration is located at 96 Academy Avenue. The phone number is (706) 265-3640. The hours are: Monday through Friday 8:00 am- 5:00 pm.

How can I run for public office or volunteer?
For those wishing to serve in public office, you must declare your intent to run during the election cycle at the Dawson County Board of Elections and Voter Registration at 96 Academy Avenue.

If you wish to formally volunteer with a city-sponsored board or committee, please contact your mayor and city council as they appoint members.