Business License
City Code of Ordinances
Economic Development
Zoning and Permits


The City of Dawsonville ordinances safeguard the life, public health, aesthetic quality and welfare by regulating the location, size, number, illumination, construction, maintenance and quality of materials of all signs and outdoor advertising structures and eliminating visual clutter within the city. The city promotes the safety of pedestrians, vehicular traffic, and property by ensuring signs do not create traffic or other hazards because of collapse, fire, visual obstruction, decay or abandonment.  The city strives to balance legitimate business and development needs with a safe and aesthetically attractive environment.

All signs located in City of Dawsonville must meet the City’s Sign Ordinance and most are required to have a permit.

Permanent Signs

A permit is required before any permanent sign may be erected. All signs must be in conformance with the City’s sign standards. Please refer to the City of Dawsonville’s Sign Ordinance, which can be found in chapter 102 of the City’s Zoning Ordinance for information related to size, number, location, and permitting requirements.

Application and Sign Ordinance

A picture or drawing of the sign, including colors, materials, size and dimensions, as well as placement on the building lot must accompany the application.

Please allow time for the application to be reviewed. You will be notified when the permit is ready for issuance.

For additional information

Contact the Planning & Zoning Department by email: for pre-approval or drop off at our office in City Hall 415 Hwy. 53 East, Suite 100 during office hours: Monday – Friday 8:00 am to 4:30 pm

Can I place signs along the road?

No sign may be on the right-of-way, street corner, sidewalk, medians, utility poles, etc.  Signs must be placed on private property and set back at least 10 feet from the right-of-way.

Do I need a permit for a banner?

Yes. All banners must be permitted prior to installation. Banners are permitted at business locations only and a permit can be issued up to 4 times per year.

Do I need a permit for a Real Estate sign in my yard?

A permit is not required for a real estate sign on you property if that property is for sale, lease or rent, and the sign is no larger than 15 square feet in residential zoning areas and 40 square feet in commercial zoning areas. It must be set back at least 10 feet from the right-of-way, usually the street or sidewalk.

Some signs are not allowed within the City limits of Dawsonville. These include:

  • Signs creating traffic hazards
  • Hazardous signs
  • Signs resembling traffic signals or signs
  • A-frame signs
  • Mobile or portable signs
  • Vehicle signs
  • Flashing signs
  • Balloons/non-durable materials
  • Roof signs
  • Streamers / pennants
  • Signs within the right of way
  • Tree signs
  • Bench signs
  • Trailer signs


Permanent sign - $100 each
Temporary sign - $75 each (1 year maximum) or $30 per month
Banner sign - $30 each per quarter or $100 each per year


Sign Recovery Fee - $100 (to recover signs impounded for violation)
Sign Re-inspection Fee - $25 (out of compliance)
Sign Violation Fee - $200 (per violation)